Chef Recipe – The Perfect Scrumptious Scone
Courtesy of Alexander House Executive Head Chef, Darrel Wilde
The perfect scone goes beyond jam first or cream first (though there is only one right way…)
Darrel Wilde, Executive Head Chef at Alexander House knows a thing or two when it comes to perfecting a recipe! Lucky for you, he’s shared his scrumptious scone recipe for you to try at home, along with a few expert tips to keep you on track.
Darrel’s Scone Recipe
- 550g Plain Flour
- 30g Baking Powder
- 100g Caster Sugar
- 150g Cold Butter
- 2 Eggs
- 175ml Milk
- 1 egg
- Pinch of salt
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl.
- Rub in the butter with your fingertips and stir in the sugar.
- Add the eggs and milk gently to the flour mix and stir with a knife.
- Bring together and turn out onto a floured work surface and knead gently and briefly into a smooth dough. The trick to fluffy scones is to handle the mixture as little as possible!
- Wrap in cling film and allow to rest in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Pre heat the oven to 200°c.
- Roll out onto a lightly floured surface to 3cm thick and cut out with a cutter. Top tip: Do not twist the cutter to bring your scones out of the dough as this will stop your scones rising.
- Turn the scones over so the top becomes the bottom and you have a flat top and brush off any excess flour with a brush.
- Place on a lined baking sheet and brush the tops only (if you brush the sides your scones won’t rise as well).
- Bake for 12 – 15 minutes until risen and a pale golden colour
- Lay on a wire rack to cool slightly
- Enjoy with clotted cream and jam – which goes on the bottom and which goes on the top is up to you!