Job Title: Assistant Financial Controller
Hours: Full Time
Location: Wilmington, Kent
Salary: £50,000 + Dependent on experience
Single Private Healthcare Cover, 4 weeks holiday rising to 5 weeks with service, 8 Bank holidays, Free car parking
Following completion of the company’s 3-month probationary period access to a range of company benefits including:
Discounted hotel accommodation for yourself and your family at all hotels
Discounted hair treatments at our two Utopia Spas
Discount off all food & beverage at all hotels
Discount of individual treatments booked in our two Utopia Spas
Discount on retail products in our two Utopia Spas
Refer a friend staff recruitment scheme.
In additional you will enjoy a range of other benefits when you celebrate your 1 yr, 3 yr and 5 yr anniversary including; your birthday off paid, complimentary overnight stays, complimentary lunch/afternoon tea and service related holiday
Alexander Hotels are a collection of five luxury hotels, in the 4 & 5-star market, based in the South of England. We are now looking to recruit for an Assistant Financial Controller within a team of 6, reporting to our Group Financial Controller. The Group Finance Office based at our Rowhill Grange Hotel in Kent covers the accounts function for our 5 hotels, located in Kent, Surrey, and West Sussex.
The Group Assistant Financial Controller will play a leading role in our Finance Team and will be instrumental in our growth plans. Reporting to the Finance Director, the Assistant Financial Controller is responsible for all day-to-day financial matters, including reporting, budgeting, forecasting and managing the accounts team of four. With this role playing a vital part in the further projects, you will be integral to the business activities of the group.
We are looking for a genuine self-starter who has the ability, potential, and a thirst to learn and grow with a track record of leadership and a strong understanding of financial principles and practices leading the team to deliver the day-to-day financial tasks and delivery of the overall Finance Roadmap.
- Lead the delivery of monthly group management accounts in accordance with timetable and provides analyses, interpretations and projections to hotel management and senior management, as requested.
- Collaborate with the Purchasing Manager to analyse costs, compare them to industry benchmarks, and identify opportunities for cost savings and efficiencies.
- Conduct detailed reviews and track actual results against the F&B and Rooms Metrics by performing periodic reforecasts to ensure alignment with property strategy and identify areas for improvement.
- Working closely with the General Manager and operational team to understand key performance indicators (KPIs) and provide financial support to management, in the formulation and implementation of the hotel’s forecasts.
- Responsibility for compilation of annual budget in conjunction with FD and alongside annual operating plan and strategic planning with a closer integration and communication between finance and various departments.
Controls and Compliance
- Develop and implement new controls via periodic site inspections, identifying gaps and contributing to the ongoing development of the hotels and ensure robust, sustainable financial controls and stock holdings procedures are in place within the hotels.
- Prepare quarterly VAT returns and liaise with external auditors where required.
- Assist the Head of Finance in the preparation of the UK statutory accounts and Interim Audit processes, reviewing information submitted to auditors and implement agreed corrective actions.
Month End Reporting
- Carry out and report on a monthly review of financial trends, results, operating KPIs and commentary with Hotel Managers as part of performance improvement and challenge to support delivery of operating and financial budgets.
- Work collaboratively with the Finance Director to review consolidated entries, prepare key balance sheet reconciliations as required and ensure integrity of the balance sheet submissions.
- Managing fixed asset accounting and electronic purchase order processes, including recording of asset purchases/disposals which are authorised and in line with company budget.
- Review ledgers, reconcile control accounts, bank, vouchers account, departmental expenditure, petty cash and ensure key controls are signed off.
- Process and review all month end journals: timely recording & payment of accrued liabilities, prepayments, stock take, revenue import, cost apportionment, portal invoices import.
- Ensure adherence to lead schedules and submission of weekly sales to facilitate departmental review of operating performance and KPI trends.
- Understand our data deeply ADR, REVPAR, Market segments, be able to report on trends and maintain our data accurately on all our systems and address any bottlenecks or recurring issues appropriately.
- Regularly, assess trend, review ledgers and stock holdings to ensure completeness of receipting and purchase to pay cycles identifying gaps and contributing to the ongoing development of the finance function.
- Conduct weekly in-depth review and revenue testing including allowances, corrections complimentary, cancellations, deposits, no-show, guests over credit limit, rate overrides to ensure accounting accuracy and identify revenue maximising opportunities.
- Oversee daily card transactions and online third-party payment systems to ensure PCI compliance and prevent fraud.
- Manage Income Audit processes to ensure consistency and completeness, communicating identified risks to the Finance Director.
- Provides safe keeping, including proper storage and access for all contracts, leases and other financial records.
- Spot check sales events billings for accuracy and completeness against agreed contract and follow-up any outstanding bills with the department.
- Develop training plans and courses for non-financial managers in coordination with the FD to enhance their understanding of financial matters.
- An Hotel accounting background is essential for this role
- Part Qualified/Qualified accountant (ACA/ACCA/CIMA) or studying for.
- Advanced Excel knowledge is a must.
- Experience of using Microsoft Dynamics NAV / Jet / Guestline is required.
- Highly numerate and organised individual with a keen eye for attention to detail
- Ability to work in a fast-paced multi-site & multi culture environment while meeting deadlines.
- A great team player.
- Proactive personality and can-do attitude.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must hold a full driving licence to allow for periodic travel between the hotels for which business mileage allowance will paid.
#finance #financialcontroller #hotelfinance